A benefit of participating in the decoration program is that you will not forget to replace the flowers for your loved one. Flowers will be installed and removed for you; a truly effortless way to honor those you love.
Cemetery Decorations Approval
All newly added flower stands in St. Mary’s Cemetery must be issued by the cemetery. Any other stands will be removed and disposed of. Flower stands, 14″ clay urns and shepherd hooks may be purchased by contacting the cemetery office. You are welcome to place your own live or silk flowers or to have the flowers placed by the cemetery.
General Cemetery Grounds
- Glass containers, candles, pictures, wind chimes, toys, or other decorations are not permitted on monuments, next to graves, or at the base of crypts or burial niches.
- Urns used in the cemetery must be 14″ in diameter and fit securely in flower stands.
- A shepherd hook must be purchased from and installed by the cemetery. A shepherd hook may be used at a grave site in place of an urn stand.
- Flowers or other decorations cannot be placed on or be stuck into the ground with the only exception for Memorial Day decorations.
- Planting of real flowers, shrubs, or trees on grave sites is prohibited.
- Funeral sprays and flowers may be left at the burial site. Flowers, wreaths, emblems, flags, etc. used at funerals, will typically be removed after 3 days.
Spring and Fall Major Cemetery Cleanup
Two weeks prior to Easter through Maundy Thursday and October 15-31 are used to clean up the grounds and prepare the cemetery for spring and winter. Following cleanup, spring decorations may be placed on Good Friday and fall decorations may be placed beginning November 1st.
All decorations must be removed from flower stands, shepherd hooks, crypt/niche vases, monument vases and saddles during this time. If items remain throughout these dates, they will be removed and disposed of. If you wish to save your decorations, please remove them before we begin the cleanup process. Please do not place any decoration during the cleanup time.
Spring and Summer Cemetery Decorations
Spring and summer cemetery decorations may be placed on Good Friday and are limited to live or artificial flowers in approved urns, shepherd hooks, crypt/niche vases, monument vases, or monument saddles. Decorations must be removed by October 15. If items remain throughout the dates of October 15 – October 31, they will be removed and disposed of.
Memorial Day Cemetery Decorations
Memorial Day decorations may be placed ten days prior to the holiday. Decorations stuck into the ground must be removed within one week after Memorial Day. If you would like to retain your flowers, please pick them up before the Monday following Memorial Day. Cemetery staff will dispose of any decorations that are left behind.
Fall and Winter Cemetery Decorations
Fall and winter cemetery decorations may be placed on November 1st and are limited to live or artificial flowers or evergreen wreaths and crosses in approved urns, shepherd hooks, crypt/niche vases, monument vases, or monument saddles. No Christmas trees, garlands, grave coverings, evergreen blankets or lights are allowed. Fresh decorations such as wreaths must be removed by April 1st. All other decorations must be removed two weeks prior to Easter. If items remain throughout the time frame of 2 weeks prior to Easter – Maundy Thursday, they will be removed and disposed of.
Contact Us Today
Contact Saint Mary’s Cemetery of Winona today to discuss your cemetery service needs.
Make a Donation
Saint Mary’s Cemetery of Winona is a non-profit organization. Donations are greatly appreciated.